Position Overview: This position is responsible for conducting routine and non-routine analysis of in coming raw materials, in process and finished product, using a variety of testing devices and procedures to maintain product quality.
Essential Job Functions
· Performs material inspections or product tests to verify conformance to specifications.
· Analyzes quality costs and other quality data.
· Facilitate root cause analysis of production issues and follow up corrective/preventive actions.
· Observes designated worker performing standard tests and measurements, reads, duplicates tests and compares test results and measurements to verify accuracy of measurement.
· Collects and records results of sampling and testing to maintain record of product quality.
· Inspects returned product to substantiate customer’s claim of product defects.
· Prepares inspection plans and instructions and develops test methods.
· Develops or updates standard operating procedures as needed.
· Program and operate a coordinate measurement machine (CMM) or Faro Arm for performing product inspections.
· Perform audits of the product and quality system processes.
· Applies fundamental statistical methods for process control.
· Communicates with external customers and suppliers as required to resolve quality issues.
· Provide training to production operators on quality system processes and evaluate the effectiveness of training provided.
Non-essential Job Functions
· Perform special projects on analytical and instrument problem solving including instrument and process validation.
· Assist in programming CNC machines.
· Education/Experience: Associates Degree and years experience; Vocational/Technical Training Certification and 3+ years experience; High School diploma, GED or equivalent and 4+ years experience. Prefer a candidate with manufacturing experience in a precision metal fabrication operation.
· Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
· Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Prefer ASQ Certified Quality Technician, Six Sigma certification or a candidate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Know basic inspection and testing concepts, including reading and interpreting technical drawings with geometric dimensioning and tolerance terminology, how and when to apply various inspection techniques and sampling plans and which techniques are appropriate for specific processes.
· Ability to select and use appropriate measurement tools (such as calipers, micrometers, thread gages, coordinate measuring machine, electronic measuring equipment), assess accuracy and precision and evaluate the measurement results to determine conformance to specifications.
· Knowledge of quality concepts and quality processes as applied to a manufacturing operation, such as six sigma, lean manufacturing and cost of quality.
· Ability to apply quality improvement tools, interpret and present information and data and facilitate conflict resolution.
· Be familiar with ISO 9001/AS 9100 quality management systems including understanding the quality audit process and have experience at auditing quality management systems.
· Understand and be able to facilitate corrective and preventive actions, including root cause analysis, failure mode, effects analysis and the control of nonconforming material.
· Work within a team based environment, applying skills to both effectively facilitate a team and participate as a team member.
· Have computer skills and experience for performing data analysis, presentation of data and use of CAD/CAM tools.
· Ability to read and interpret documents, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
· Ability to write reports and correspondence.
· Ability to speak effectively before employees and management of the organization.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide and calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
· Apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagrammatic form. Deal with problems involving several concrete variables in or from standardized situations.
· Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to sit, talk, write and hear. The employee occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
· Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.