Repair Development Engineer
Performs activities associated with the development, approval, implementation and maintenance of new and existing repair schemes or alternate sources of supply for component parts. Coordinates the initial stages of the developmental process, as well as, required design changes in existing business units. May coordinate the vendor qualification process, including completion and evaluation of customer and/or regulatory compliance programs.
· Participates in all phases of product/process development. Provides analytical support, evaluation and calculations for new repair development studies and subsequent initiation including cost benefit analysis, evaluating end-user performance and providing cost and schedule estimates for proposed work packages.
· As part of the repair development group, provides support and consultation services with regard to new technologies and the development of new repairs and processes.
· Prepares engineering reports and data packages for repair development substantiation and approval.
· Provides the technical expertise and experience necessary to make airworthiness engineering decisions regarding major repair design activities, in accordance with the company design approval organization manual.
· Provides direction for continuous improvement of component repair methods and capabilities.
· Compiles and analyzes data on repairs; identifies root causes and rectify; develops measures of performance on all repair processes.
· Supports the production development group activity in modifying and refining existing repair schemes to eliminate and/or reduce the number of rejects occurring.
· Provides technical training support or mentoring for repair development and metallurgical analysis.
· Directs acquisition of equipment as required to meet repair development objectives. Establishes and monitors equipment safety issues.
· Responsible for observing all applicable safety requirements and reporting immediately any unsafe practices/conditions.
· Carries out special projects as assigned.
· Fully conversant with testing methods and experiment design to meet airworthiness compliance program requirements.
· Strong planning, organizational, analytical, leadership, interpersonal, decision making, oral and written communication skills.
· Strong project management skills.
· Thorough knowledge of aerospace materials and processes.
· Thorough knowledge of gas turbine engine theory and performance.
· Ability to read, understand and interpret blueprints.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook).
· Working knowledge of computer aided drafting software; experience with the Autodesk design suite a plus
· Working knowledge of precision measuring instruments.
· University degree in materials science, mechanical engineering or metallurgy; or equivalent.
· Experience in an aerospace engineering environment.
· 8 to 10 years Repair Development experience a plus
· Must be authorized to work in the US.